9.22.2012

Battambang boat trip


I noticed that our boat  had slowed almost to a standstill and that our new additions were arguing with the skipper, pointing in a direction decidedly opposite from where the river was taking us. I looked to Kry to translate, but he wouldn't meet my gaze. Not a peep. He stared off at some fixed point in space, apparently oblivious. When, at our uninvited guest's instruction, the boat changed course, coughing and clanking up a narrow no-name creek perpendicular to the river, I barked to Kry, 'What's happening? What's going on?'
'We take shortcut,' said Kry, quickly slipping back into what seemed to be a coma.

'Shortcut'. The word filled me with dread. When has a shortcut ever worked out as planned? The word - in a horror film at least - usually precedes disembowelment and death. A 'shortcut' almost never leads to good times. And in Cambodia, with our skipper suddenly piloting the boat up a shallow, twisting, foliage- choked, water- filled ditch, deep into who the fuck knows where, with two who the fuck knows who giving the orders, I was not feeling too secure. I consulted my Lonely Planet guide and was dismayed to find this particular body of water did not appear on the map.

4 comments:

  1. I loved your post too much and found it so funny. The above pictures are so beautiful and tranquil. I think having boat journey is a great way to have fun and good moments with some unexpected moments as a Shortcut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your writing is inspiring. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mean to scare you my friend, but shortcut routes on horror films never lead to a successful escape. :P What's the nearest town from this unknown water location you mentioned? I have to admit, venturing unexplored coordinates on a map on a boat trip could be exciting. However, not all explorations have happy endings. What I'm trying to say is...at least, one among the group should know the geography of the place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excerpt from Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines", so very captivating!

    ReplyDelete