8.26.2012

Inspiring chef Part 1

My first television crush happened between 2005 and 2006 (when I was still living at home with my parents). The crush was Anthony Bourdain. No Reservations was then a somewhat new TV show, Tony wasn't yet an acclaimed badass (at least not in my book), his show was randomly tucked in between regular travel channel programs, and I loved it. He was my secret culinary Jim Morrison of the 21st century, having international adventures that I yearned for (still do) and the freedom to roam (this part was just like any young adult's perspective, looking forward to be released from the nest). His book Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly only solidified my interest, as I learned more about his personal life, about his serious drug addiction, and the fact he was able to beat it and move on.
Once Tony and his show became more and more in demand, I stopped watching the series since popularity is a turnoff for me. This does not mean I'm a nonconformist. I just don't like being into things that are 'hot right now' or 'bestselling' or 'just released'. I usually wait until the hype is over and then slowly make my way towards that thing, in my own time. I'm currently reading one of his books, A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines in admiration, his writing is impeccable. After all, it is not his fault he got mainstream famous and I'm glad he's making a living this way, I mean, who wouldn't be?

No comments:

Post a Comment